The Ruff Rider Roadie Pet Harness is designed to provide a safe and secure way for your dog to travel in a vehicle with you. If you have ever slammed on your brakes and had your dog come flying forward, you understand how hazardous vehicle travel can be for your dog. The Ruff Rider Roadie Canine Vehicle Restraint is a figure eight safety, step-in harness for dogs which has been designed from the drawing board up to be certified to human seatbelt standards. Carl Goldberg developed the design with the help of veterinary orthopedic surgeon and a design engineer. The Ruff Rider pet safety harnesses are tested for tensile strength (6000 lbs, US human standard for seatbelts is 5,000 lbs) at Commercial Test Laboratories in Denver, CO.
Why a Ruff Rider Roadie Dog Car Harness is safer than putting your dog in a crate:
A crash test done by a German insurance company shows debris flying freely in the test car after the dog crate exploded on impact. The crate was fastened securely in the vehicle with the seatbelt. The crate exploded because the "dummy dog" hit the inside of the crate with incredible force. Remember that any loose object in the car is a potential missile. The real question here should be "Is anyone safe in the car with a crate?"
Features of the Ruff Rider Roadie Car Harness:
Ruff Rider Roadie Harness Construction and Materials:
- Constructed of the highest quality nylon webbing with a 20% give factor that absorbs 20% of overload forces on impact
- Structural stitching, 70-denier heavy-duty nylon thread with box "X" stitching
- Tested to US human seatbelt standards for tensile strength (5000 lbs)
- Made in the USA using U.S. and imported materials
- Ruff Rider Roadie is easy to put on and take off
- Attaches to any vehicle's seatbelt system
- Choose from two secure positions to attach your dog on the car seat:
- Sit/stand/lie down
- Sit/lie down only, your dog will not be able to move around on the seat
Roadie Ruff Rider Dog Harness Ergonomic and Orthopedic Features:
- "Single webbed construction" provides superior strength exceeding S.A.E. standards for human seatbelts. The body of the harness is just ONE piece of nylon
- Ergonomically designed for ease of movement, the harness design does not require a skin tight fit
- By design, the harness fits around shoulders and crosses over clavicle. Impact is dispersed throughout the harness.
- Unique, convenient utility: The harness never has to be removed from your dog; it can be used for auto safety, walking and training purposes.
- Will never affect your dog's neck or spine, any stress is placed on the chest instead of neck or spine/back. Harness material is designed to have a 20% give factor, which greatly reduces the chances of broken bones and bruises.
Reinforced Walking Lead:
- Double reinforced with seatbelt webbing
- Adjustable tether/leash allowing for movement
- Heavy duty D-ring for walking lead connection only. NEVER use D-ring to connect harness to seat belt.
Heavy Duty D-ring and Walking Lead Snaps:
- Heavy duty D-ring at end of connector piece. For leash use only – NEVER connect the seat belt through the D-ring
- Snap handle allows for easy storage of seat belt connector/lead while dog is off lead
- For use in a SUV or van a 24KN carabineer is necessary
Dog Specific Features:
- No collar to choke and no plastic parts to break
- 2 Methods for getting your Dog into the harness: Step into (feet first) method or Over the head (head first) method. See our installation guide for easy take on and off steps to securing the harness on your dog.
- Pleated under arm pits to prevent chaffing
- Will never affect your dog's neck or spine. Designed to have a 20% give factor, which greatly reduces the risk of broken bones & bruises.
- The harness never has to be removed from your dog, it can be used for auto safety, walking and training purposes.
- Like a collar – Can be worn 24/7 with no discomfort
- Will fit dogs from 6 lbs to 150 lbs
- For the best protection Ruff Rider recommends that dogs be seated in the back seats and be buckled into the dog seat belt securely.
Fitting Instructions - Be sure to measure carefully choose the proper size Ruff Rider Roadie for your dog:
To get the RIB CAGE CIRCUMFERENCE measure your dog around the LARGEST part of his/her rib cage just behind the front legs while your dog is standing. Make this measurement SNUG, and be sure you can fit one finger under the measuring tape not two.
This size chart is an approximate guideline for sizing your dog.
Pet Weight (Lbs)
Rib Cage (Inches)
|7 - 12
||11" - 15"
|13 - 20
||16" - 20"
| 21 - 35
||21" - 25"
|36 - 45
||26" - 30"
|46 - 75
||31" - 33"
|76 - 95
||34" - 36"
You should be able to insert between two and four fingers vertically between the bottom of the pet harness (where lead attaches to Ruff Rider harness body) and the dogs back - less than two fingers, too small - more than four fingers, too big. Puppies need to be sized just like full-grown dogs. We do not recommend that you buy a size larger for your puppy so that they will "grow into it". If the harness is too big it will fall off. We do our very best to fit dogs with the right size Roadie the first time, but since all dogs are built differently, measurement procedures may vary and personal preferences among customers differ.
Below is a list of states in the US with tether laws
REMINDER: Measurement sizes are approximate. For your dog's comfort, if your dogs rib cage and or weight measurements are close to the maximum of a size group go UP a size. Roadie is not designed to fit skin-tight, so it's better to go with the next larger size and tailor the fit using the adjustment strap(s).
60-Day Guarantee (no coverage for chewing)